Thursday, March 18, 2010

Virtual Math Manipulatives - Base Blocks

Base blocks was a perfect way to review this weeks Math objective: count/use objects to show 6, 7, 8 or 9.
First I modeled to my students how to use the virtual manipulatives. I explained the value of the ones and tens columns (because this is a new concept). The teacher can dictate different numbers for students to represent using the base blocks or students can work independently on computers by clicking "Show a problem".
For a kindergarten level if you clicked Show a problem the direction stated: Use blocks to show 3. Use blocks to show 5. This was a nice way for me to review our topic of numbers 6 - 10. I asked my students to use blocks to show me numbers 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10. When I asked a student to show 10; they went up to the smartboard and clicked ten ones. The virtual manipulatives did not correct to show one 1 tens = 10 ones. When the child I was done I said that is one way and then modeled again the tens column.
This is also a great way to introduce addition or subtraction. If you add one more block how many are there? Now take away two how many are left? I plan to use the base blocks again when we get to addition and subtraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment