Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Private Universe Project in Mathematics 3

Workshop 3: Inventing Notations

"In mathematics, how do we make visible an idea"... this is important for teachers to realize. Students at all ages are unique; they all have a way of preceiving a problem. As a teacher we must keep this idea in mind and try to realize how our students go about a problem/their thought process. "The teacher in a sense has to become a learner."

As a teacher of children with special needs I try to visualize the best way to break up a problem for my students. I try to visualize methods my students will use to make a connection. I often use connection to real world situations to help them apply their knowledge. My students benefit from pictures. Just like mathematics we use manipulatives and symbols.

In the video it mentions, "there are limitations on what a teacher can do, given classroom time". This is true. I have observed in the faculty room many teachers discuss standards and testing. I believe many teachers get lost in these requirements and only test to the test; they forget to make learning fun. I feel these workshop video demonstrate how learning can be educational, motivating and enjoyable. In each problem the students are communicating with eachother, learning, have a different thought process - that they can teach to their classmates and not bored!

No comments:

Post a Comment