Saturday, February 13, 2010

Color Patterns - NLVM

I was eager to try the Virtual Math Manipulatives with my students. My class is labled LLD-S (learning language disabled severe). Their are 5 boys and 1 girl in the class; the majority diagnosed with Autism. They are all on a Pre-K to Kindergarten level. In October we reviewed color and shape patterns, so I decdied to try Color Patterns: http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/frames_asid_184_g_1_t_1.html?from=topic_t_1.html

They were excited to try something new on the Smartboard.
The first pattern to appear was: Blue, Pink, Purple, Purple, Blue, Pink, Purple, Purple, Blue, Pink, Purple, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?. The goal was to complete the pattern using the colors to the right. I modeled first what to do, then called a student one by one to complete the patterns. My students really enjoyed this.
The next pattern was easier for them to complete: Blue, Red, Blue, Red, Blue, Red, Blue, Red, Blue, Red, Blue, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?. This followed an ABABAB pattern, and was easier for my students to solve.

Sometimes I found the task to be challenging for a preschooler or kindergartener to complete.
For example the next pattern (shown left) that appeared was:
Purple, Dark green, Light green, Dark green, Blue, Pink, Purple, Dark Green, Light Green, Blue, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?

This task was complicated and took alot of time, thinking and analyzing.

I like the idea of the Virtual Math Manioulatives, I feel anything with technology helps motivate our students want to learn. I wish the color patterns were organized from easy to hard starting off with patterns ABABA to ABBABBA to ABCABC instead of a random approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment