Saturday, January 30, 2010

4-Story Tower Activity

I tested the 4 tower lesson on a friend. For this activity I gave my friend a total of 100 connecting cubes; 50 yellow and 50 green. The directions were to create as many different 4 story towers combination using two colors (no pattern can be repeated). Immediately, he stated 4X4=16; there are 16 total combination. I asked him to show me using the connecting cubes and prove he is correct. He began to make various patterns. When he said he was done I asked what his strategy was? He stated: First he took three of the yellow and one of the green and worked his way down and up (total of 8 story-tower). Next he created two solid towers of one color (total 2 story-tower). Last he mixed it up two and two of each color (total 6 story-tower). Creating a total of 16 combination.

(Picture describes method from right to left)

2 comments:

  1. Dyodice,

    I like that you took a picture of the individual's solution. It is amazing what we can do now with the technology that we all have at our fingertips. This is making me consider starting a blog for my classes that I teach now. My one reservation is that students might post inappropriate things. Do you have any suggestions for classroom based blogs?

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, technology is amazing. What grade do you teach? I once read in the newspaper about a Spanish teacher using cell phones in her class. She would send her students texts with updated homework, quizzes and tests. Another thing she did would have scavenger hunts. She send students a text in Spanish find a green object, take a picture of the cafeteria. Students would go around school and take a picture and come back to class for a discussion.

    A blog is a great idea but stress the importance of posting appropriate posts because you will be reviewing the posts. Work out a grading system too. Technology is the way to reach our students today.

    ReplyDelete